Sunday, May 3, 2009

He Carried Me Kicking and Screaming

I wrote this poem several years ago.  It will remind you a little of Much-Afraid's journey.  You should also be able to tell from the language of the poem that my struggles with the circumstances God allows in my path has been a long-running theme in my life.  And much of His journey with me has occurred with me being thrown over His shoulders because I didn't want to go where He was taking me.  Maybe that's why I like this little book so much.  I don't like to embrace Sorrow and Suffering's hands.  But there can be purpose in it.  I just need to let God show it to me.  Enjoy the poem.  

He Dragged Me Kicking and Screaming

By Linda Barrett

 

He dragged me kicking and screaming through deserts barren and dry.

He never asked my permission, and He never told me why.

I resisted every effort, each tender word that He said

Was heard by my heart as torture, instead of my daily bread.

 

We finally stopped by a creek bank; I sighed with deep relief.

We took a drink; then off He went; the moment was very brief.

He threw me over his shoulders, determined to drag me on.

We went, through daylight and evening, continued from dusk to dawn.

 

We stopped once more for quick respite and we paused for quiet ease,

But my heart was hard and angry; in the moment I found no peace.

When we left, I let Him take my hand; my body was tired and sore.

I did not know what His plans were, or what He might have in store.

 

We went through dark frozen wastelands icy, cold, barren and bleak.

I never knew such deep sorrow, but my soul could at last hear Him speak.

We stopped again for comfort, and we laid our heads down to rest.

He whispered words of tenderness, and cold, I leaned on his breast.

 

When morning came, He waked me, and pulled me with ease to my feet.

Weary, I could not resist him, but feared what next we would meet.

We passed through a swollen river; I knew that I would soon drown.

But He lifted me over my trouble; at the bank, he set me down.

 

The trees were heavy with fruit there; it was a quiet, peaceful hill.

I listened as He sang to me; in awe, the songbirds were still.

It seemed for a time we had settled; I thought I had finally arrived.

But it only seemed like a moment, before He winked and smiled.

 

He grabbed my hand and we headed, which ever way He called right

I listened to what He said then, and held on with all my might.

So far the pathways he’d chosen, were not ones I would have made.

But… he never had left me; I was finding myself less afraid.

 

I was learning to like this Man, and enjoy His pleasant voice.

His melodies made my soul sing, His sweet words - my heart rejoice.

Then I suddenly realized, the pleasure I found just in Him,

My chest pound harder and sweeter; my heart was filled to the brim.

 

 Then warmth spread sweetly around me, His purpose was suddenly plain.

The point was His honor and glory, in joy, ease, sorrow, or pain.

The struggles I’d seen on the journey, had forced me to trust this Man.

The sorrow and pain I had suffered, had been instruments in His hand.

 

I looked in His eyes and I worshipped; I sobbed and sought His embrace.

His Glory and Grace was before me; I bowed before His face.

He dragged me kicking and screaming, my strong will He must destroy.

He dragged me kicking and screaming into His persistent joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment